Arty S7 General I/O Demo
Introductory level demonstration project for the Arty S7's LEDs, switches, buttons, and USB-UART bridge.
|4 User Switches||X|
|4 User LEDs||X|
|2 User RGB LEDs||X|
|4 User Push Buttons||X|
|4 Pmod Connectors||X|
|XADC Analog Input||X|
|Serial Flash for Application Data||X|
- Arty S7 FPGA board
- Micro-USB cable
- Vivado Design Suite 2017.2*
- NOTE: *Vivado 2017.4 or newer is required for the S7-25.
- Newer versions can be used, but the procedure may vary slightly.
- Vivado Design Edition is required for the Spartan 7 due to an error in the Webpack Edition installer.
- A full Design Edition license is not required to use this demo.
- An existing Vivado installation can be upgraded to Design Edition through the Help → Add Design Tools or Devices dialog in the Vivado top toolbar.
- Digilent Board Support Files for Vivado
- Follow the Vivado Board Files for Digilent 7-Series FPGA Boards guide on how to install Board Support Files for Vivado.
Download and Launch the Arty S7 GPIO Demo
1.) Download the ZIP Archive for the appropriate board variant in the Downloads section above.
2.) Follow the Using Digilent Github Demo Projects Tutorial. This is an HDL design project, and as such does not support Vivado SDK. Select the tutorial options appropriate for a Vivado-only design.
3.) To see the UART communication channel, open a terminal program on your computer set to 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity bit and 1 stop bit. Choose the COM port that the ARTY is connected to (To determine what COM port your Arty is connected to, open up Device Manager on your machine. Under Ports (COM & LPT) you should see something like 'USB Serial Port (COMX)' where the X is the number of the connected COM port). Then return to the Github Project Tutorial to finish programming and running the demo.
Run the Project
To run all the features of this demo, you will only need the Arty S7 board.
1. Using the Switches with Leds
For this section, all the switches are tied to their corresponding led. Every time a switch is toggled, the led directly above it will toggle with it.