chipKIT MX3 Resource Center
Welcome to the resource center for the MX3!
Here you will find all the reference materials that Digilent has created for this board, as well as links to any external content we have tracked down. If you are interested in purchasing the MX3, visit the product page on our main website: chipKIT MX3
The chipKIT™MX3 is a microcontroller development board based on the Microchip PIC32MX320F128H, a member of the 32-bit PIC32 microcontroller family. It is compatible with Digilent’s line of Pmod™ peripheral modules, and is suitable for use with the Microchip MPLAB® IDE tools. The chipKIT MX3 is also compatible for use with the chipKIT™ MPIDE development environment. ChipKIT and MPIDE is a PIC32 based system compatible with many existing Arduino™ code examples, reference materials and other resources.
The chipKIT MX3 is designed to be easy to use and suitable for use by anyone from beginners to advanced users for experimenting with electronics and embedded control systems. It is intended to be used with either the Multi-Platform IDE, (modified Arduino IDE), MPIDE, or the Microchip MPLAB IDE. The kit contains everything needed to start developing embedded applications using the MPIDE. In order to use the MPLAB IDE, an additional programming/debugging device, such as a Microchip PICkit3 is required.
The chipKIT MX3 provides 42 I/O pins that support a number of peripheral functions, such as UART, SPI and I2C™ ports as well as five pulse width modulated outputs and five external interrupt inputs. Eleven of the I/O pins can be used as analog inputs in addition to their use as digital inputs and outputs.
The chipKIT MX3 can be powered via USB, or an external power supply that may be either an AC-DC power adapter, or batteries.
We are currently on Revision A of the MX3. You can find the revision of your board by looking on the underside, near the white bar-coded box.
- Schematic – PDF
- PDF Schematic of the PCB generated by Altium
- Technical description of the chipKIT MX3 and all of its features. The Wiki may contain more up-to-date information than the PDF.
- Sell Sheet – PDF
- Quick and easy breakdown of the chipKIT MX3's features.
- Programmer's Reference Manual – ZIP
- Programmer's Reference Manuals for the Digilent chipKIT DSPI and SoftSPI libraries for use with the chipKIT MPIDE software system.
- These Fritzing parts can be uploaded and used to create circuit images.
- Eagle Project – ZIP
- Open source EAGLE project for the chipKIT MX3. Created in EAGLE v6.5 (REV.A)
- Bootloader Image – ZIP
- chipKIT™ bootloader Image loaded into the chipKIT MX3 / Cerebot MX3cK's PIC32 microcontroller at the factory.
- Installing chipKIT compatible IDE External
- Instructions for installing MPIDE or Arduino IDE with the chipKIT core
- SRK Basic – Wiki
- This tutorial is a step by step guide to the assembly of Digilent's Servo Robot Kit.
- SRK+Line Following Robot – Wiki
- This tutorial is a step by step guide to the assembly of the line following Servo Robot Kit.
- SRK+3D Printable Line Following Robot – Open-Source Instructable
- This instructable is a step by step guide to the assembly of the Beetlebot SRK Line Following Robot, including links to download the files for 3D-printable components.
- MPLAB Blink – ZIP
- This zip file contains a simple MPLAB demonstration project for the chipKIT MX3 / Cerebot MX3cK. This basic project blinks the LEDs on the board. Note: you will need a separate programming cable to use this project.
- MPIDE Blink – ZIP
- This simple example sketch for MPIDE blinks an LED on supported chipKIT boards.